Friday, November 1, 2013

A long winded introduction

I have decided I miss Space Wolves too much to have it be a tossup between Nids and Wolves. Wolves win, I want some personality in this hobby. Personality is something that Daemons and Necrons cannot provide much of. So my Space Wolves will get a 1000% boost of personality. This will force me to build my army very slowly, which is a good thing, as my Daemons and Necrons still need some more models.
These are the steps I plan to take to create an army where every model has a name and story.
I will start with the 15 or so models I kept from my old Space Wolves army. They already have fought several battles, and have plenty of stories. They will just need names. These will serve as my HQ, Wolf Guard, and Dreadnought until others are created.
Next I will use an online name generator to create several random names. I will create these in groups of 10. Each name will have to pass a dangerous terrain test, to simulate the training on Fenris. If they roll a 1, the name is removed. The names that succeed will be given some standard issue power armor and wargear for training and their first few battles. I will use the buttload of bits I have to create generic looking marines. All will have helmets, even though it goes against blood claw lore.
At this point I will have a handful of bloodclaws, all with names, but none have faces or defining traits. Through a series of small games, skirmishes and dice rolling sessions, each blood claw will advance to grey hunter, or die. Once they make grey hunter, they will be given appropriate Space Wolves armor, and pending on how well they do in the combats, they may receive special wargear, or even become wolf guard.
To determine who gets what and why, these initial battles will take a very long time, which is why they will stay small, and most likely be solo, or with friends and beers. I will roll for each individual model, and record the hits, wounds and kills. This way I will know who deserves the special weapon, or who is hot headed and may fall to the wulfen. Maybe also find the level headed one who will carry the wolf standard.
I plan to keep track of all of my grey hunters through an app for my phone, which app? I don’t know yet. I am hoping to find something more than a text editor that will let me easily keep track of all of the details. Once they hit grey hunter they will be able to branch out into various other roles, such as Long Fangs, Lone wolves, drivers, and so on.
Once I have a decent sized army (+500pt) and start playing against other people, I will stop rolling each model individual and record stats via unit. By then each model will have a name, and work as a pack. The glory hunger of the blood claw will have been replaced with the cold brutal determination to take a foe down as a pack. A unit that does well against the Eldar, may gain some elder bits on some bases, or trophies to carry into battle.
I don’t know if I will build a force that will be able to match my old Space Wolf Army, but I am going to have a damned good time doing it.
This will be a long, difficult, and super fun process, but I am sure I may be doing some of this poorly. So if you have a suggestion, I would love to hear it!

TL;DR: Decided to go back and make another SW army. Going to give each model a personality because I am a turbo nerd, here is the process each model will have to go through.
  • They get a name, and have to pass a dangerous terrain test. Winners become blood claws.
  • They get a plain marine model and must survive, or do well in some skirmishes/battles. Survivors/models who do well get SW models and promoted to Grey hunters, as well as special wargear.
  • Grey hunters can then move to wolf guard, long fangs, lone wolves, TWC and many other ranks.
  • I will keep track of this on my phone, and am asking for C&C on the crazy idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment