Monday, April 20, 2015

First games in months!

On Saturday I arranged 2 games to be played. The first was against daemonkin, the second, orks. For the first time in a long time, I used my Space Wolves!

My 1850 list against daemonkin was something like this:

TWC Lord with morkai's claws, necklace and 2 fen wolves
5 TWC, sgt with shield/claw, 1 with fist, 2 with shields, another with claw.
helfrost dread
Murderfang in pod
Shield dread in pod
Arjac's shield brothers +1

My opponents main units were a bloodthirster, TDA lord, maulerfiend, soul grinder and then some possessed, cultists, land raider and standard CSM.

So the first thing I learned in this game, it being the first time I have used a land raider since 5th. They can, and WILL immobilize themselves in area terrain. Second turn move the thing got stuck, barely out of my deployment zone.
Murderfang was shot and immobilized, as was my helfrost dreadnought. So a large portion of my army just got stuck turn 2.
On the other hand, my TWC got stuck in with a blood thirster, maulerfiend and what was left of the bloodletter squad with TDA lord.
After 3 turns, and some terrible rolls for me, and wonderful +5 daemon saves, the TWC died. However the maulerfiend and bloodthirster had 1hp and 1 wound. That was when Arjac charged in, taking out the lord, fiend, and bloodthirster on the charge. The lord turned into a bloodthirster and landed in the movement phase. That was after 10 min of the "deep strike doesn't mean deep strike reserves" debate that shouldn't be happening because it is a terrible grounds for an argument. He admitted that the FAQ would be in the favor of not being able to show up on the ground.
Arjacs unit then charged that bloodthirster. Arjac took a single wound, then the bloodthirster was no more, they were then charged by a soul grinder, and knocked its arm off, taking a single dead TDA in the process.

We called the game. As I had terminators and some immobilized vehicles on the table, and he had 2/3 objectives.

Some thoughts? I should have stuck with the idea to bring GH instead of more dreadnoughts. If I had made room for 2 GH in pods with flamers and meltas, I could have done much better. Also, should have let daemonkin go first. They have crap for shooting, something I forgot, they will also run forward, letting the TWC choose who they tear apart.

It was a fun game in the end, despite my terrible luck. Having the shield brothers walk through so many big units was really enjoyable!

No comments:

Post a Comment